1557 BASKET WEAVE Posted on 29 Aug 00:00 , 0 comments
The request came in for an edge-to-edge pattern in the traditional motif:basketweave. Joey had searched high and low over the internet for such a pattern for a Statler computer to no avail. The question: was it even possible to create such a pattern? Joey wants to use the pattern as an edge-to-edge across a quilt top made using reproduction fabrics from the 1930's.
Hmmm ... this challenge beckoned and niggled in my brain. It was like one of those puzzles you have to complete a line connecting as many dots as possible without ever lifting your pencil. At least I knew I could use lines that stitch over each other but also wanted use as few as possible.
And then there is the issue of creating a edge-to-edge pattern meaning start and stop points need to be on the same vertical and horizontal plane. Definitely a project to ponder, work on for a bit, walk away and ponder, and then come back. It was calling to me. It had to be possible. AND THEN IT ALL FELL INTO PLACE!
- 1557 BASKETWEAVE is designed with "ribbons" of 1".
- 1557 BASKETWEAVE will work as an edge-to-edge design or as a background fill.
- 1557 BASKETWEAVE can easily be resized smaller or larger with minimal distortion and still maintain the integrity of the pattern.
CAUTIONS as you roll:
You will need to use your execution skills with thoughtful precision as you roll keeping your project lined up from pass to pass keeping the "ribbons" aligned with each pass. You will find you can minimize the "push/pull" effect with the stitch-over lines by running the machine at a slower speed. When I ran the pattern test my machine was set at 50%. Keep in mind that my 50% may be slower or faster than the settings on your machine, so make adjustments accordingly.
As you can see from the photos, the pattern alignment was off with the first roll. I used the relocate function setting the pattern up with the row start and row end points. I check for placement using the machine head thinking I would be okay. I was able to correct the problem on the second roll by using the "ribbon" connection points as my two points rather than the start/end points. I also zoomed in for more precision nudging as needed across the row.
I think this pattern would make an excellent and different fill motif behind applique using the trim function with no worries regarding alignment on the roll with the smallest of blocks up to blocks the throat size of your machine.
You might also like: